Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Road Trip Day 2


So Day 2 was the least eventful day of the trip. I legitimately have no notes on the day, so this will be a relatively short post.

I’d originally planned on driving from SLC to Omaha Nebraska. Then, I actually looked at a map and realized that driving to Omaha would add two extra hours to my trip, one in the evening and one the next day, so I switched it to Lincoln instead.

My goal was to get out of Wyoming before the sun set. I didn’t want to have to deal with hills and mountains in the dark. Thanks to my singular focus, I met this goal with over an hour to spare. Wyoming wound up being an easy drive. The highway was only two lanes at most points, and there were some stretches where construction reduced traffic to one lane, but since I had the sun, I had no issues. It was a scenic drive,  and I attempted to take some photos, but other than that, not much to report.

The first food stop was Sonic. I needed a snack to tide me over, so I got a Cheese Coney, the first of three on the trip. Not exactly a culinary delicacy, but since Sonics have never been readily available wherever I’ve lived, I was fine using a meal on it.

I’d planned on having a decent meal after I entered Nebraska, but kept finding reasons (mostly imagined) to postpone a dinner stop. I finally decided to eat after 10pm, and of course it was a McDonald’s. Not exactly getting the food stops off to an auspicious stop, but I swear I make up for it later on the trip.

Last interesting note: I arrived in Lincoln after 2am. I had to drive through the downtown area to reach my hotel for the evening. I’m not sure when bars let out, but the streets were decently populated. More interestingly, I was stopped at two red lights, each time with another car. At both of these lights, the other cars essentially crept through the intersection until the light turned green. I realize that waiting at red lights when there are no cars or pedestrians going in other directions is frustrating, but do people in Nebraska realize that red lights are not optional? Not sure if they got the memo on that one…

Anyway, tomorrow is Day 3. I drove from Lincoln to Kansas City Missouri and took in my first game of the trip. There’s some good stuff coming up, so tune in (hopefully) tomorrow and you can see my thoughts on KC and Kauffman Stadium.

No comments: