Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Greatest Dream Ever

So this post is kinda cheating, since it will be short. However, I will be posting another story in an hour or so that will provide more sustenance. Anyway, I have been known to enjoy food (stop laughing now... please?). Anyone who knows me will attest to that. It is not foreign for me to order two entrees at a restaurant because I can't decide what I want to eat. I have also been known to study menus in preparation of eating at a restaurant. One of my favorite delicacies is the fried potato. Be it fries or chips (the American version, not what the Brits call "chips"), I will devour them at an unhealthy pace. Red Robin provides free refills on baskets of fries when your order a burger? It's quite possibly my new favorite restaurant (and I don't even like burgers that much). Eat a whole bag of chips in one sitting? Of course, why would I want to exercise self restraint by stopping at half the bag? That's for idiots.
Anyway, in China, there is a severe chip shortage. Yes, there are chips everywhere and in flavors not found in America. However, they're TERRIBLE! Most taste sweet, they generally have no salt and the flavors are just weird (who the fuck wants to eat tomato chips?). Basically my whole time in China, I didn't get to eat any chips. I was quite deprived, in case you can't tell. When I can't/don't eat food I like for a long time, I get cravings, not unlike those of a pregnant woman (I seriously hope this happens to other people...). In May, after about 9 months in China, I was in Beijing visiting a friend. We did the usual bar thing, then I fell asleep on his couch that night. In my sleep, I had a dream. I rarely dream. Even more importantly, I REMEMBERED the dream, usually I only have a snippet or two, never the full thing. And let me tell you, it was the most glorious dream EVER. I was in room. And there were chips everywhere. Regular, lightly salted, ruffles, BBQ, kettle cooked, regular. And I ate. O, did I eat. The dream was legitimately just me sitting in this room, grabbing bags of chips and gorging myself. That morning, I woke up with a smile on my face. It may have been the happiest dream I have ever had...

No comments: