Thursday, November 20, 2008

Chinese Cabbies Really Like Trying to Swindle Me

So for those of you who keep up with this here blog or who receive ims/emails from me, you know that cabbies in China are not my friends. They regularly try and screw me over. There was the guy who charged me 30 kuai and two Chinese girls in the back 5 kuai for the same ride. There was the cabbie in Shenzhen (more on this later in the HK/Macau posts), who managed to charge me double the proper fare. And of course, run of the mill cabbies in Wuxi who attempt to take roundabout routes home, even though I can now yell at them when they go the wrong way (nightly cab rides from the same exact departure point can do that).
Well, tonight I was waiting at the bus stop outside school to catch a ride into the city. It was 615, but the bus runs until 636 (or so the sign says). I saw a student and started chatting with her and a friend when a tout came up to us and tried to get us to bite on a ride, but no one felt like paying for a cab when a perfectly good bus was on its way. At first he tried to charge me 30 for my ride, which is a reasonable price, but I tol him I'd rather spend 2 on a bus than 30 on an unnecessary cab, which prompted a chuckle from my student and her friend. He then tried to tell me that there weren't any more buses for the night. I politely told him he was wrong and thought that would be the end of the conversation, but no, he kept on insisting bus service was done. I kindly informed him I ride the bus every night and know it's still running, but apparently he thought he could put one over on the old lao wai. His persistence was admirable, if not also fucking annoying. Luckily my student told him he was wrong and to buzz off. At that moment, the bus also appeared. Needless to say, that asshat got none of my money and will receive none in the future. Douche.

No comments: