Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Only in China

So this is just going to be a quick, random post that doesn't really go anywhere or mean anything, but I just felt like sharing an observation with y'all (I've also recently decided I like the word y'all and want to start introducing it in the classroom. What would be funnier than a bunch of Chinese people going around saying y'all in a thick Chinese accent? I honestly can't think of anything). Anyway, so I'm bad with names. Like really bad. I'm bad enough that I've been friends with people whom I had no clue what they were called. It's pretty bad at times. I recognize faces pretty well, but names. Fuck no (which is kinda amazing that I've almost got all my students down. Of course 60 are graduating in a month, but still, I've surprised myself). Anyway, so the phenomenon I wanted to mention is Chinese people looking like American people I know. It's really weird and creepy. One of my students looks exactly like an ex- nu peng you of mine... if only she were from China and not Boston. Today I saw a woman who looks exactly like one of my best friend's older sister... if only she were Chinese. Unfortunately I can't really get pictures of this phenomenon and I'm sure anyone who is reading this automatically assumes I'm crazy, but I swear this happens.

No comments: